Software refers to the set of computer programs, procedures and associated documents (Flowcharts, manuals etc.).which describe the programs and how they are to be used.
System software :- system software is a set of programs, designed to control the operation and extend the processing capability of a computer system.
Computer system software performs one or more of the following function.
- Supports the development of other application software.
- supports the execution of other application software.
- Monitors the effective use of various hardware resources.
- Communication with and controls the operation of devices.
Types of system software. There are:
- Operating system :- Operation system is a program, which acts as an interface between the user of the computer and the computer hardware.
- Language processor :- Software used to covert resource program instruction into object or machine language instruction. Example are :- Assembler, Compiler and Interpreter.
Application software :- Application software is the set of program necessary to carryout operation for a specified application. These are the program written by programmers to enable computer to perform a specific task. For example :- payroll processing software, examination processing software, computer game software, are all application software.
Types of application software. there are:
- Word procession software :- Word procession software enable us to make use of a computer for creation, editing, viewing, formatting, storing, and printing documents.
- Spreadsheet software :- Spreadsheet software is a numeric data analysis tool that allows us to creates a kind of computerized ledger.
- Graphics software :- Graphics software enable us to use a computer system for creating, editing, viewing, storing, graphs etc.
Firmware software :- Firmware refers to a sequence of instruction substituted of hardware and stored in red only memory (ROM). Firmware is a combination of software permanently stored in the memory (hardware). It is program or data that has been written into the red only memory.