. India is the seventh largest country in the Southern world with an area of 3287263 sq km, which is 2.42% of the world’s area.
. IndiLatitudinala is the second most populous country in the world with a population of 1.21 billion,which is 17.44% of the world.
. Indian subcontinent is located in the northern and eastern hemisphere.
. India shares longest boundary with Bangladesh (4053 km), followed by China (3380 km), Pakistan (2912 km),Nepal (1690 km), Myanmar (1463 km), Bhutan (605 km) and Afghanistan (88 km).
.In India,the tropic of cancer (23.5° N latitude) passes through Eight states (Gujarat,Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh,Chhattisgarh,Jharkhand,West Bengal,Tripura and Mizoram.
. islands Andaman and Nicobar islands in the bay of Bengal; Lakshadweep,Amindive and minicoy in the Arabian sea.
. Indian standard time (IST) The 82°30’E longitude is taken as the standard time meridian of india, as it passeGujarats through middle of India (from Naini, near Allahabad).The 82°30′ E meridian also dictates time in Sri Lanka and Nepal.In the south,on the eastern side,the Gulf of Mannar and the palk strait separate India from Sri Lanka.
Important facts: India
- Latitudinal extent 8°4′ North to 37°6 North
- Longitudinal extent 68°7′ East to 97°25′ East
- North-South extent 3214 km
- East-West extent 2933 km
- Land Frontiers 15200 km
- Total Coastline 7516.6 km
- Number of States 29
- Union Territorys 7
- Land Neighbours Pakistan, Afghanistan,China,Nepal,Bhutan,Bangladesh and Myanmar
- Longest Coastline Gujarat
- Active volcano Barren island in Andaman and Nicobar islands
- Southern most point Indira point or pigmallion point in great Nicobar
- Southern most tip Kanyakumari
- Northern most point Indira col
- Western most point West of Ghaur Mota in Gujarat
- Eastern most point kibithu (Arunachal Pradesh)
Important lakes of India
Name of lake state important fact
- Chilka lake Odisha it is a saline and lagoon lake(Largest lake of India).
- Kolleru lake Andhra Pradesh it is a freshwater lake,a bird sanctuary and a wetland.
- Loktak lake Manipur it is a freshwater lake having inland drainage in Manipur.
- Lonar lake Maharastra it is a meteorite crater lake in Buldhana area of Maharashtra. The water is highly charged with sodium carbonates and sodium chloride.
- Pangong lake Jammu and Kashmir it is salty lake.
- pulicat lake Tamil nadu and Andhra Pradesh border it is a saline and lagoon lake.
- Sambhar lake Rajasthan it is a shallow lake which is saline,located near Jaipur,listed as a wetland.
- Tso moriri lake Jammu and Kashmir it is a salty lake.
- Vembanad lake Kerala it is a lagoon lake.
- Wular and dal lekes Jammu and Kashmir wular lake was created due to tectonic activites.
Indian states situated on the (Border)
- Pakistan Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab,jammu and Kashmir
- Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir
- China Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh
- Nepal Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Bihar, West Bengal, Sikkim
- Bhutan Sikkim, Paschim Banga, Asom, Arunachal Pradesh
- Bangladesh West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Mizoram
- Myanmar Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram