*A way of travelling from one place to another place.
- Indian railway system is the largest in Asia and fourth largest in the world.
- It is the largest public sector undertaking of the country and it is the world’s second largest railway network under single management.
- The first Indian railway line in India was operated for public traffic in 1853 between Mumbai and Thane over a distance of 34 km.
- The first electric train In India was (Deccan queen).it was introduced in 1929 between Bombay and puna.
- The second longest train route is of (Himsagar Express) from Jammu Tawi to Kanyakumari. It covers a distance of 3788 km and passes through 12 states.
- The first metro rail was introduced in Kolkata on 24th October,1984. The two stations connected were dumdum and belgachhla.
- Bangalore metro rail corporation Ltd a joint venture of government of Karnataka. The first stretch was inaugurated on 20th, October 2011 and second stretch on 1st march, 2014.
- BMRCL is the first metro rail project in India commissioned with 750 V DC third rail on standard gauge.
- Mumbai metro one Pvt Ltd, a joint venture company formed by reliance infrastructured Veolia transport and MMRDA. MMOPL first line entered operation on 8th June, 2014.
- The longest railway platform in India is now Gorakhpur with a stretch of around 1.3 km.
Indian railways have (seventeen) railway zones
Railway zone Headquarters
- Central Mumbai VT
- Eastern Kolkata
- Northern New Delhi
- North-eastern Gorakhpur
- North-east Frontier Maligaon -Guwahati
- Southern Chennai
- South central Secunderabad
- South eastern Kolkata
- Western Mumbai Churchgate
- East coast Bhubaneshwar
- East central Hajipur
- North central Allahabad
- North western Jaipur
- South western Bengaluru (Hubli)
- West central Jabalpur
- South-east central Bilaspur
- Kolkata metro Kolkata
Indian railways recognised by UNESCO
Darjeeling Himalayan railways (1999) Narrow gauge railway from Siliguri to Darjeeling in the state of West Bengal.
Nilgiri Mountain railways (2005) It connects the town of Mettupalayam with the hill station of udagamandalam in the Nilgiri hills.
Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus (2004) It was opened in 1887 in the time to celebrate queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
Kalka-shimla railways (2008) Narrow gauge railway in north-west India travelling along a most mountainous route from Kalka to Shimla.